I haven't always been as frugal as I could have been when it came to fabric items that needed some mending- if it was too much to tackle I'd just ship it off to the rag bag. Unfortunately, with the peppering of my twin bed sheeting with little holes, it was either buy 5 new sets of sheets or mend them. I chose the later and added it to my extensive to-do list. Surely, I must have moths. It's the only conclusion I can arrive at. Rationally, I know that I did find a pair of scissors lying on the sheets the very day that I found the holes in them. However, everyone insists that they didn't do it. Which brings me back to moths.
When it came to hand sewing, I must admit that I've always been a "fly by the seat of my pants" kinda gal. I found that while that works just fine for seams, it makes a mess of a tear, rip, or hole. Grossly lacking in hand sewing skills, I found this tutorial and it worked beautifully for me! The more I mended, the better they looked. (I intended to show a first and last shot, but my camera charger is missing so that will have to wait.)